Marsha Burgener- Director
Kathy Mitsdarffer- Assistant
Jim Wierman- History and Genealogy Assistant
Samantha Crist- Library Aide
Debby Waldrop- Library Aide
The Atwood-Hammond Library District strives to meet the personal, educational, and recreational needs of each resident in the district by providing a wide variety of materials, specialized equipment and access to technology.
The first libraries in our district were the result of projects by local woman's clubs. An election was held on April 6, 1937 approving a levy to support the libraries of Unity Township. Branch libraries were established in Atwood, Hammond and Pierson. The library in Pierson closed in 1956. In May of 2008 the Hammond facility was closed.
The Citizens of Garrett Township and Unity Township voted November 4, 1986 to annex all of the Unity #39 School District in Douglas and Piatt Counties to become the Atwood-Hammond Public Library District (A-HPLD).
In May of 1990, that part of the school district #39 lying in Moultrie County became part of the library district by annexation.
Presently the library serves 2,604 citizens in approximately 80.5 square miles. The library houses approximately 20,000 volumes.